Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Trip planning

T'was the night before the fishing trip, and all through the house, not a creature bait was stirring, not even the Power Team Lures Craw D,oeuvre.

Okay so maybe it's not quite like that. In this article I want to talk about trip planning. In my opinion it's the most important part of any trip, then again I have been accused of thinking and/or planning too much in the past. What can I say, I like to be thorough. 

The first thing I do, is decide where I want to fish. I'm blessed to live in an area that has endless angling opportunities. I can choose to fish a lake, river, bay or even the Gulf of Mexico. Once I've decided where I want to fish, then I need to decide where I will launch from.

A good map or Google Maps/Earth are great ways to find launch points. I try to stay away from boat ramps if possible, so  I look for "Day Use" areas or parking areas with easy access to the water. Luckily the areas I fish allow me to do this.

The next thing I think about is season and weather conditions. Obviously season is extremely important. I need to know what the pattern is so I know what tactics I want to use. Knowing this will help me decide what gear and tackle to bring along. The weather is equally important, as is solunar data. For researching this I use Scout Look. Their App allows me to pick any location and find all the weather data and solunar data I need. I highly recommend downloading the Scout Look App to your smartphone. Knowing the weather also helps with dressing for the conditions and taking any necessary precautions.

Obviously, if you fish the same water regularly, some of this isn't always necessary for each trip. However, when you fish new water I suggest you take the time to research and plan ahead. Planning not only gives you the best shot at catching fish, it also allows you to be safer on the water. 

Be as thorough as you can, to avoid any surprises. On one occasion, I was going to fish a lake I had never been before. I did my research, felt confident I knew what I needed to know, loaded up and headed there. I got to the lake, which was over an hour from my house only to find it wasn't there. I don't mean I got lost or I was mistaken, I mean it was GONE! Apparently this particular lake is known to dry up every five to six years. I didn't do much fishing that day.  As I said do your research and be thorough. It can only help you and make for a more pleasant fishing experience.

D.S



No comments:

Post a Comment