Saturday, October 11, 2014

Fall Red Fish Action


Is there anything better than fishing in the Fall? Of course there isn't! I absolutely love fishing in the Fall. Not only is it a much needed break from the hot Florida summer, but it's incredible fishing too. I catch more fish in the Fall, than any other time of the year, and this year has been no exception.

As you'll notice these were caught from a boat rather than a kayak. The reason for this is, all of these trips were spur of the moment right after work. Since my boss has a boat that just needs to be lowered into the water it's just quicker to use the boat. It also allows us to get to those areas that are just too far away to kayak too, which happens to be some of the best Red fish areas.



This 32" Red and the 22" Red on the right were caught off the Eglin grass flats. I was using my Shimano Sienna 2500 on a 7' St. Croix Triumph Medium rod. Spooled with 15 pound braid and 20 pound Fluorocarbon leader. Bait was Berkley's Gulp Jerk Shad, color "New Penny" with 1/4 ounce Jighead.


These little guys were caught near the Coast Guard Station using the same bait and equipment as above. We also caught a few Ladyfish and Bluefish as well.



This healthy 24" Red was caught near the Destin grass flats. As always, the bait and tackle was the same. These Red fish love those Berkley Jerk Shad. Color seems to be very important, because they didn't seem to like the "Camo" or "New Penny Fleck" I tried. Jighead weight, shape or color doesn't seem to matter though. 


I've caught about a dozen more in the 12"-16" range. All in the three locations that I have listed. Just need to find that grass. Trout and flounder seem to really like the Gulps as well. I've caught about half a dozen Trout so far with many more to come I hope. Below is a nice Trout caught near Destin.


I think I'm really starting to enjoy Red fishing more than Bass fishing. Maybe it's because I catch bigger Reds.

D.S

No comments:

Post a Comment